Indooroopilly Uniting Church (“the Church”, “we”, “us” or “our”) recognizes that your privacy is very important to you and that you have a right to control your personal information. We know that providing personal information is an act of trust and we take that seriously. We are committed to protecting your personal information and giving you a choice in who can use your personal information and how it can be used.
2. Indooroopilly Uniting Church
We are one of many Uniting Church congregations in Queensland. In addition, we are a member congregation of the Uniting Church in Australia, Queensland Synod (“the Synod”). For the purposes of Commonwealth privacy legislation, we consider ourselves to be part of the Synod organization.
3. Commonwealth Privacy Laws
The way we handle your personal information is governed by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) which establishes the National Privacy Principles (“NPP’s”). Unless you give us explicit consent to act otherwise, this Statement explains how we will manage your personal information.
We will deal with your personal information in accordance with the law and the NPPs (subject to any other overriding provisions of law) and as specified in our Privacy Information Document (which may change from time to time) and this Statement. This Statement is to be read subject to any overriding provisions of law or contract.
4. What is Personal Information
Personal information means any information or an opinion about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained from the information or opinion.
5. Ability to Collect Personal Information
We may be permitted to collect personal information under any laws pertaining to insurance and not-for-profit organizations
6. How Your Personal Information will be Used
We collect your personal information so that we can use it for our functions and activities which include, amongst other things:
- including your details in the Church directory;
- being aware of any special needs (spiritual, health or otherwise) you may have;
- considering and passing on any prayer requests you may have;
- informing you of our upcoming Church events and activities;
- considering your employment application;
- addressing any feedback or complaints you may have;
- answering any queries you may have; and
- any purposes for which it was requested and directly related purposes.
If you do not provide us with your personal information, we will be unable to do one or more of the above and otherwise perform our functions.
We will assume you consent to management of the personal information you provide until you tell us to the contrary by contacting us.
7. Exchange of Personal Information with Third Parties
Personal information provided for the purposes of making a donation via Quest Payment’s Donation Point Go will not be shared.
Other personal information we collect from you may be disclosed:
- to any entity to which we are required or authorized by or under law to disclose such information (for instance, Federal or State law enforcement agencies and investigative agencies, courts, various other Federal or State government bodies);
- to others that you have been informed of at the time any personal information is collected from you;
- to our professional advisors and other service providers (for example, solicitors and insurers);
- in certain circumstances, to the Presbytery or Synod (for example, if you are elected to the Church Council or are elected an Elder and
- with your consent (express or implied), to others.
We may also obtain personal and other information from some or all of the above entities to enable us to carry out our functions. When we obtain personal and other information from third parties whom you refer us to, we will assume and you will ensure that you have made that third party aware of the referral you made and the purposes involved in the collection, use and disclosure of the relevant personal or other information.
Where you make a prayer request pertaining to a third party and provide us with his/her personal information, we will assume and you will ensure that you have obtained the third party’s permission to use his/her information in this manner.
8. Access and Correction of your Personal Information
You can ask to obtain access to your personal information that we hold, although under some circumstances permitted by law, we may not provide such information to you.
We may ask you to put your request in writing and pay a reasonable fee levied by us for this.
It is important to us that the personal information we hold about you is accurate, complete and up to date. If you are aware that this is not case and would like your personal information corrected, please contact us at our contact details below.
If we decide not to correct or provide you with access to your personal information, we will give you reasons for our decision
9.How to Contact Us
All queries concerning our management of personal information should initially be directed to our Privacy Contact. Similarly, if you would like a copy of our Privacy Information Document, please get in touch with our Privacy Contact.
10. Changes to this Privacy Statement
We may amend this Privacy Statement from time to time.